In Jan 1919 a public meeting was held to decide on suitable memorial for the war dead. Over the next twelve months the committee under the Chairmanship of Col F W Bennett raised funds and considered suggestions for the memorial. It appears the three considered were a Village Hall, a Memorial Garden, and the Statue of Liberty figure on a Pedestal of Portland Stone. This as we know was finally chosen, at a cost of £800. The unveiling was to be carried out by Mr C Strachan Carnegie. The date set for the dedication ceremony was Aug 10th 1920. On the day the figure had not been delivered, but the committee decided to proceed out of compliment to Mr S `Fulford chairman of Northam Urban Council, who was shortly leaving the country on a lengthy trip.
The Bideford Gazette reported that several hundred parishioners were present, and the base was covered with beautiful floral tributes. The top of the pedestal and running round the four sides are the appropriate words taken from the 15th and, 16th verses of the 25th Chapter of the 1st book of Samuel:
‘The men were very good unto us and we were not hurt. They were a wall unto us both by night and day”
Following the speeches the ceremony concluded with the singing of the National Anthem.
Pictures below, show memorials St Margarets Church, Northam
The following images are from Holy Trinity, Westward Ho!